To provide administrative support in the office.
- Manage the waiting area (posters, leaflets etc.)
- Welcome clients and visitors, explain what services the bureau can offer
- Enter client details into a database
- Assist clients to access publicly available information (self-help) where appropriate
- Assist advisers in providing clients with printed information/access to websites or help lines (assisted information)
- Answer the administration telephones
- Provide general administration as required
During the course of the day you may be asked to undertake these tasks according to your experience and particular interests:
- Photocopying, filing, finding files
- Keeping leaflet displays well-stocked and up-to-date, ordering leaflets
- Word processing, standard letters, sending faxes & emails
- Updating information resources by amending files/reference books
- Ordering stationery and office supplies ensuring the office is fully equipped
Skills and attitudes
Ability to work accurately, work as part of a team, take instruction.
Whatever their views, admin/reception volunteers will be expected to work with all kinds of clients and on any kind of problem they have. They must be prepared to examine their own views and feelings to make sure that they are able to give an equally good service to everyone.
All Admin/reception volunteers are expected to carry out the CAB’s policy of equal opportunities. This means an active opposition to all forms of discrimination, and to make sure that the service is equally available to all people.
Everything seen and heard in the bureau has to be private and every admin/reception volunteer has to sign an agreement to observe a strict rule of confidentiality before beginning work in the bureau.
A commitment to learning
A willingness to learn and develop is central to being an effective admin/reception volunteer.
Hours of work: by arrangement – a minimum availability of 1 day per week for 6 months.
Support and supervision: Day to day support will be provided by the Advice Session Supervisor(s) and Training Coordinator.
Expenses: Travel expenses will be reimbursed. If sessions of more than five hours are worked in one day then a contribution of £3.00 will be made towards the cost of a meal.
How to Apply
Are you interested in applying to be a Volunteer Admin/Reception Worker?
If you would like to apply to volunteer please download the application form below, complete and return it by post to Training, Citizens Advice Camden, 141a Robert Street, London NW1 3QT, or email to email@example.com and we will be in contact with you in due course.